From: Jennifer Howes, Assistant Vice President for Student Affairs and Wellness
After almost 25 years of service, Alice Sogomonian will be retiring from Student Wellness Services on Friday, February 26th. During this time, Alice has participated in many campus health initiatives including seasonal flu vaccinations and promoting health education on everything from concussions to contraception. She has attended seminars on eating disorders, pharmacology updates and gender issues. At the annual health fairs, she has welcomed incoming students and shared information about all Student Wellness Services has to offer to support health and emotional wellbeing.
More recently, Alice has worked on the COVID Management team to assist graduate students and essential staff for illness, COVID-19 exposure and campus surveillance testing. She has enjoyed the challenge and triumphs of working with the student body all these years. She will miss their fresh and sometimes unconventional take on health issues and providing them a path to better care and wellness.
Alice is known for her patient and supportive approach to students and has earned the admiration of graduate students who have included her in their thesis dedications. In 2008, she was given the ASCIT award for outstanding performance in her job.
Her husband of 25 years and 2 grown children look forward to having Alice take some well-deserved time off before considering her next act. She has left an indelible mark of the Student Health Center and her contributions will live on for years to come.
Please join me in wishing Alice well as she transitions to the next phase of her journey, and leave appreciations on her Kudo board by Friday, February 26th at noon. https://www.kudoboard.com/boards/vFZUJmMP
Thank you for your years of service, Alice, we will miss you dearly!
What is Health Services?
Health Services is committed to providing caring, compassionate and cost effective health care and health promotion services that are specifically designed for the unique needs of our students. Services are available to all eligible enrolled Caltech students and is NOT dependent on enrollment in any insurance plan.
Update June 2, 2020: New student? Please click to view instructions and requirements for completing the entrance health forms.
Please complete your entrance health forms as soon as possible, if you have not already done so. Students who have not completed their entrance health forms will have a hold placed on their registrar's account and may not be able to register for classes.
When utilizing Student Health Services, we kindly ask you to:
- Call Health Services first to schedule an appointment at (626) 395-6393. We will provide care remotely whenever possible first.
- Students are encouraged to check the Student Health Portal for direct communications from their provider.
- Wear a mask or face covering, wash or sanitize hands often, and adhere to physical distancing requirements of 6ft when visiting the health center.
In addition, we have also implemented the following:
- Remote visits through telephone and video conferencing to continue assisting students remotely
- Rearranged the waiting room to reduce contact between students and adhere to physical distancing guidelines
- Modified appointment scheduling to reduce contact between students and allow time for disinfecting rooms in between appointments
- Increased disinfection of frequently touched surfaces
- Other workplace modifications under the guidance of the Pasadena Public Health Department to reduce risk of COVID-19 infection
Please contact Student Wellness Services with questions and suggestions.
- Services Provided
- Location and Hours
- Make an Appointment
- Primary health care (General medicine)
- Laboratory test specimens collected for reference lab
- Prescriptions provided to be filled at community pharmacy
- Allergy injections continuation after started by allergist
- Gynecological care
- Referrals for specialist care and imaging tests
Until further notice, health appointments will not be available through the online Student Health Portal. In accordance with the recommendations from the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health, Student Health Services will be limiting in-person visits and introducing telehealth for the safety of all students and the campus at-large.
Please call (626) 395-6393 to request an appointment. Student Health Services will continue to function per our normal business hours.
Students who have the Caltech UnitedHealthcare insurance can access free telehealth services 24/7 provided by HealthiestYou.
Well wishes for Alice Sogomonian's retirement Read: https://t.co/LdJbQ00SXW
Depression hurts. We sometimes think about depression as a mood disorder - but it affects so much more than how we… https://t.co/rMMQd0zrYm
Did you miss our Conflict Resolution Skills workshop? The recording and handout is now available! Look for it under… https://t.co/yjEDzE5Q3t
Do you find it hard to stand up for yourself? Are you worried that if you say what you really want, you'll burden o… https://t.co/SfLI9iMQQz