Time Management Resources and OT Favorites
Favorite Programs and Resources
Below is a list of our favorite apps and resources! These are resources we have personally tried and enjoyed. As much as possible, we try to present apps that have useful features in the free version, though some apps have premium paid tiers or have a cost.
Note: This is solely for your information only. Caltech is not sponsored by, or otherwise affiliated with these programs. We just like these resources!
If you are on campus, check out a Kindle from the Caltech library to read these for free.
Did you know libraries will let you borrow digital books for free? Link up your local library card with the Libby app and check out books from your local library.
- The Now Habit: A Strategic Program for Overcoming Procrastination and Enjoying Guilt-Free Play by Neil Fiore
- Atomic Habits: An Easy & Proven Way to Build Good Habits & Break Bad Ones by James Clear
- Tiny Habits: The Small Changes That Change Everything by BJ Fogg
- Getting Things Done: The Art of Stress-Free Productivity by David Allen
- I Will Teach You To Be Rich, Second Edition: No Guilt. No Excuses. No BS. Just a 6-Week Program That Works by Ramit Sethi
Organization and Notes
- TickTick - TickTick is a comprehensive to-do list that has built-in tools such as a Pomodoro timer and Kanban board views, making it a versatile choice.
- Todoist - Todoist understands natural language such as "every two days starting tomorrow," making it easy to set due dates for your work. It has been updated to include board views for your work and has two-way syncing with Google Calendar.
- Notion - Notion is an incredible workspace with a multitude of templates. This enables you to create notes, tables, Kanban boards, timelines, calendars, databases, notes, reminders, and more all within the same program. Its shared workspace feature also makes collaboration and viewing shared documentation easy.
- Notability (Mac/iOS exclusive) - This powerful note-taking app lets you incorporate slides, photos, text, drawings, and audio all in one place. Audio recordings can also be synced up with replays of your own drawings and notes. Great for students who learn best from writing and drawing but want the versatility of digital notes.
- YNAB (1 year free trial for enrolled students) - YNAB stands for "You Need a Budget." This powerful zero-based budgeting system allows you to live flexibly and have distinct plans for your money. No need to attempt to categorize the last 3 month's worth of transactions, Simply create your accounts and categories and start from day one. Their philosophy is to give every dollar a job. See reports of where your money goes, set goals, and visualize your net worth.
Reducing Online Distractions
ColdTurkey and ColdTurkey Writer - ColdTurkey is serious business, once you start it, you can't pause it! ColdTurkey will block distracting websites and programs, or lock you out of your computer entirely. ColdTurkey writer is a simple text editor that holds you accountable to your goal - whether it's number of words typed or a certain amount of time spent writing.
Newsfeed Eradicator - This Chrome extension wipes your newsfeed blank and replaces it with a quote so you can still chat or access important events without distractions.
Also, try messenger.com to only access Facebook messages but with none of the distractions.
Forest - Plant a tree and let it grow on your screen while you work. Beware, if you navigate away from your screen, your tree will die!
Similar app: Flora for iOS
Self-Care - Mindfulness, Reflection, and Self-Guided Resources
AloeBud | iOS | Free and Paid - Cute and gentle reminders to encourage you to take breaks, drink water, and engage in self-care
Fabulous | iOS, Android | Free and Paid - Users can follow Fabulous' built-in program to wellness and also set goals for self-care, exercise, meditating, and more
Daylio | iOS, Android | Free - Micro diary to help track your mood and activities. Daylio creates helpful statistics to help you understand your habits better.
Mindfulness Applications: Headspace, Calm, Oak, Insight Timer
Headspace and Calm are popular apps for mindfulness meditation - they are available on both iOS and Android and have a free trial with vast libraries. Oak is a completely free app that is only available on iOS. Insight Timer is available for iOS and Android and offers thousands of guided meditations for free.
Stop, Breathe & Think | iOS, Android | Free and Paid - Stop, Breathe & Think, the app for meditation & mindfulness, has a unique approach that allows you to check in with your emotions, and then recommends short, guided meditations, yoga and acupressure videos, tuned to how you feel.
My Virtual Hopebox | iOS, Android | Free - Virtual Hope Box is a multi-media coping skill app designed for individuals struggling with depression. The four main features of Virtual Hope Box include sections for distraction, inspiration, relaxation, and coping skill options.
notOK | iOS, Android | Free - It's okay to be notOK. This app lets you get immediate support from your friends, family, or peer network. notOK is a digital panic button service to get you immediate support via text, phone call, or GPS location from your trusted contacts when you're struggling to reach out.